The Telegraph, Commissioning Editor - Travel Features
5 days left
- Full Time
The Commissioning Editor will commission and edit innovative and exciting travel stories that work across all platforms and speak to the full spectrum of the Telegraph readership.
From news analysis and comment to first person features and long lead reads, you'll be confident working across a variety of styles.
As well as having plenty of imaginative and engaging ideas, the successful candidate must be able to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Devise, commission and create innovative content ideas for the Travel desk that work across all platforms. This includes but is not limited to: news analysis, comment, first person features, long lead reads, and bumper seasonal specials.
- Maintain expertise in Travel and ensure that all features are driven by reader need and news agenda.
- Understand and recognise our different reader types in line with our Travel reader strategy, and what they want from Telegraph Travel, and how to deliver this in the most engaging and agenda-setting way.
- Attend weekly travel conference to present features ideas in a collaborative style for team input and development.
- Edit copy at speed, polishing stories to page ready status.
- Attract freelance writing talent.
- Nurture and develop PR contacts in the industry and beyond.
- Set a high standard of quality journalism in pitch, writing, and production (visuals, edits, sells and headlines).
- Write shareable stories and comment features that appeal to an engaged, mobile social media audience.
- Find new ways/ideas to drive engagement with travel content.
- Represent Travel externally where and when required.
Essential skills required for the role
- Keen instinct for a good story and how to tell it, with features and lifestyle experience as well as travel.
- Proven track record in relationship building, travel industry contacts, PRs and decision makers and influencers.
- Able to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines whilst maintaining flawless accuracy.
- Personable and professional when representing travel internally and externally.
- Demonstrates self-motivation and initiative.
- The ability to work comfortably both independently and as part of a team.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Understanding of the trends and cultural shifts in the travel industry.
- Understanding of what content engages our readers and encourages them to subscribe and register.
Click 'APPLY' now.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.