The Telegraph, Assistant Sports News Editor
The Assistant Sports News Editor is a key member of the Sport editing team, working on commissioning, breaking and prosecuting news stories on all platforms.
You will have the chance to work with the best sports team in the country, alongside some of the finest reporters and correspondents in the business. The Telegraph devotes more space to sport than any other newspaper.
As well as a fantastic digital operation, it provides its readers with an award-winning stand-alone section every day of the week. We pride ourselves on our ability to always work together to deliver the best sports coverage every day.
- Commissioning and editing news stories for digital and print.
- Working with Sports News Editor to ensure Telegraph products set and reflect the news agenda.
- Speaking to and working with reporters on news stories.
- Planning and prosecuting longer-term news projects.
- Representing the department at editorial conferences.
- Helping to drive subscriptions and engagement via the Telegraph website.
Essential skills required for the role
- Experience of news editing and commissioning, not necessarily on a Sport desk.
- Experience of regular and fast-paced communication with news reporters.
- Strong news sense and judgement and track record of generating exclusive content.
- Able to respond well under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Broad knowledge of a wide variety of men’s and women’s sport, particularly football, rugby union and cricket.
- Understanding of social media and data.
- Knowledge and understanding of The Telegraph’s subscription strategy.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Experience of editing a print section or able to demonstrate the potential to do this.
- Experience of managing digital platforms.
Click 'APPLY' now.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.