Mirror Online, Deputy Showbiz Editor - Maternity Cover
Here at the Mirror Online we are looking to welcome a Deputy Celebrity Editor to our ever-growing team for short-term maternity cover.
We are looking to recruit an experienced journalist with expert knowledge of celebrity and TV news.
As the Deputy Celebrity Editor, you will be responsible for breaking the biggest stories of the day, using your extensive contacts list to pull in the best exclusives, and stepping up to edit the site when the Editor is away.
Additional duties will include getting legal stories over the line and covering red carpet events and awards shows.
This is a rare opportunity to join our team, and applications will be viewed as they are submitted.
So, who are we?
Reach plc is home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- The Deputy Celebrity Editor is second in command of the celebrity and TV sections. You will be subbing stories as well as finding new ones.
- You will be writing stories on every shift, so will have a large contacts book and excellent legal knowledge.
- Responsible for taking over the editing duties when the Editor is off desk or on holiday; this involves running the list, editing stories, supporting a large team and keeping an eye on breaking news. Being able to handle breaking news is a big part of this role.
- You will have the ability to write quickly and accurately.
- As one of our senior journalists in the department, the Deputy's legal knowledge and decision-making must be up to date.
- Other responsibilities are helping with rotas and being flexible with working hours to cover breaking news, red carpet events and awards shows.
- You must be able to manage a large team.
- This role includes weekend and some night work based on a rota and events.
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive experience in a national newsroom.
- Excellent knowledge of UK and US celebrities and TV is essential.
- Creative and the ability to write rapidly and accurately.
- Unflappable and capable under pressure.
- Proven ability to write excellent copy and break exclusives.
- Excellent working knowledge of media law.
- IPSO literate.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Click 'APPLY' now.