The Independent, Lifestyle Reporter
The Independent is looking for a talented digital journalist with an in-depth knowledge of the Lifestyle sector to join our vibrant and fast-paced lifestyle desk.
- The candidate will be tasked with writing for an intelligent, independently minded audience in the UK – as well as taking into account our substantial US/global audience.
- The lifestyle reporter will hit competitive traffic targets using SEO and social media.
- They will work closely with the Lifestyle Editor and rest of the Lifestyle team, as well as helping to bring in freelance writers, contributors and influencers.
- Candidates will have experience in working within a fast-paced digital team, with proven digital publishing skills and the ability to write and edit compelling content for a social audience.
- The role will involve working flexible hours, including Saturdays and Sundays, to provide weekend cover for the Lifestyle team.
- The successful candidate will be adept at writing sparkling copy to tight deadlines and seeking out news stories across a variety of areas including Fashion & Beauty, Food & Drink, Health & Fitness, and Dating & Relationships.
- They will be unflappable working in a fast-paced environment; able to turn around a breaking news story one minute and compile a witty first-person piece the next, and will be constantly plugged in to the latest trends.
- The journalist will be a motivated, creative individual, bursting with ideas and an all-round team player.
- Sourcing and writing traffic-driving news stories day-to-day, as well as first-person pieces, interviews and features
- Being across the planning of key events and covering them live
- Monitoring and analysing traffic with an eye to grow page views and unique users
- Refreshing content to fulfil SEO targets
- Contributing to social media platforms during the week and at weekends
- You will be flexible about working hours and weekend cover
Skills and expertise:
- Three years’ experience as a lifestyle reporter on a newspaper, magazine or similar
- Previous work in a newsroom preferable
- Excellent writing skills
- Organised and unflappable
- A track record of growing audiences using analytical tools and an understanding of how to drive engagement
- First-rate knowledge of SEO and social media
- A knowledge and understanding of The Independent brand
- Good forward planning skills
- Record of pitching, researching and writing clean, compelling and accurate copy
- A knowledge and understanding of how to use SEO and social media to improve the reach and engagement of articles.
Click 'APPLY NOW' and send your CV and cover letter along with five lifestyle article ideas that would work for The Independent audience.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8
Hours: Your hours will be 40 hours per week working Monday to Fridays