PA Media Group, Chief News Editor
Do you have a wealth of experience working on a news desk?
Would you like to use that experience to run PA Media’s main news desk as our new Chief News Editor?
This isn’t a role for the faint hearted. You’d be looked upon to lead and inspire the team, understand our customers and make sure we continue to deliver a service that is fast, fair and accurate.
You’d join an organisation that has built up an unrivalled reputation over its 152 years and you’d hold the responsibility for our ongoing reputation in your hands.
What you’ll be doing …
- Run the main PA news desk in Paddington, ensuring our content is fast, accurate and impartial across Create (wire), Now (breaking news) and Ready (digital platforms)
- Manage the news editors, working closely with Scotland and Ireland Editors and Section Editors (City, Entertainment etc)
- Brief and deploy reporters and specialists around the UK and Ireland on a rolling basis across shifts.
- Liaise with Picture and Video leads to ensure we maximise the output from our multi-skilled journalists.
- Lead for News at daily editorial conference and monthly planning meetings.
- Monitor other media outlets and social media to ensure PA is always up to date with latest news developments.
- Monitor data around PA content use in real-time and daily/weekly/monthly to ensure we are gaining maximum value from our newsgathering teams.
- Deal with customer calls and emails, ensuring they get the content they want across words, stills, video, graphics and social media.
- Handle calls to the news desk from PRs and the public.
- Line management responsibility for reporters including performance reviews and setting targets
- Ensure our published content is legally safe, and dealing with any legal issues in tandem with lawyers and Editor-in-Chief.
- Join the Editor-in-Chief and others on customer visits, calls and business pitches
- NCTJ trained or equivalent?
- Comfortable making clear sensible decisions with constant deadlines?
- Able to write, re-write and sub content at speed?
- Calm under pressure?
Do you have…?
- Significant experience working on a news desk in a senior role?
- In-depth knowledge of news and current affairs across the UK and Ireland?
- Experience delivering rich content experiences across words, pictures, video and graphics?
- A clear understanding of the media landscape in the UK, and how news delivery is changing?
What we can offer you...
- Competitive basic salary with great benefits including 25 days’ holiday
- The opportunity to work with talented colleagues in a supportive and collaborative environment
- The chance to develop your career with a well-respected organisation that is central in the UK media landscape
- A positive culture where your contribution is valued
PA Media Group Values:
PA Media Group is committed to inspiring a positive culture and a work environment of Collaboration, Accountability, Integrity and Respect.
We’re building and promoting a culture where difference is valued and everyone can be the best version of themselves and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status or whether or not they have a disability.
This role is based around core working hours, but the successful candidate must be flexible enough to respond to the demands of covering breaking news stories when the need arises. Evening and weekend shifts will form part of the regular working pattern.
We will be considering candidates as they apply, so please don’t delay in submitting your application as we may decide to close the advert early. Click 'APPLY' now.