The Sun, Deputy World News Editor - Online
- Full Time
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world.
Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Sun Online is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK - and still growing! - with a young, talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value.
The Sun Online is looking to bring in a first-class Deputy World News Editor to join Fleet Street’s most dynamic digital news operation.
The role will be based within the news team, working on everything from agenda-setting scoops and exclusives to long-form human interest stories and breaking news coverage of major international and home news events.
Day to day:
- Support the Foreign News Editor in producing first-class news content
- Have a razor-sharp eye for a story whether it’s spotting a great line buried in a mound of AP copy or anticipating how to move on a big breaking news events
- Write sharp, powerful and eye-catching headlines that set The Sun apart from our rivals
- Help build the vibrant World and US new lists that drive traffic and attract new readers: and take control of those lists in the News Editor’s absence
- Maintain a constant vigilance for any potential breaking stories and new lines on developing ones throughout the day
- Help turn around stories quickly and accurately, mindful of IPSO and legal issues.
- Work with reporters to ensure their copy is sharp and accurate and they are making best use of pictures and video
- Work with our reporters and network of stringer to bring in agenda-setting scoops and exclusives that resonate with millions of readers around the world.
- Work closely with our global network of freelancers.
- Work closely with our picture and video desk to tell stories in the most impactful way.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Experience working on the news desk of a home or world news department within a fast-paced newsroom is essential
- Unflappable under pressure.
- A passion for news and current affairs around the world
- Ability to independently identify exclusives and original feature ideas
- An awareness of SEO, social audiences and an understanding of how to recirculate readers within The Sun and keep them engaged.
- Full time availability – this is not a part time role.
Click 'APPLY' now.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.