The Independent, Race Correspondent
The Independent is looking for a talented journalist to become the title’s first Race Correspondent, reporting widely on issues that affect the lives of people of colour and exposing stories of racial injustice.
The successful candidate will be an experienced reporter with a track record of delivering exclusives, who wants the time and space to focus on stories that will have real impact. These are likely to come from across politics and social policy, but also include human features, interviews, investigations and data-led pieces.
You will be supported by senior editors who are committed to improving The Independent’s coverage of racial issues. The role will be predominantly focused on stories in the UK, but there will be opportunities for reporting on wider international issues.
- At least two years experience as a journalist with a track record of delivering original stories
- Excellent writer comfortable with producing news, features and analysis
- Self starter with a clear vision for the kinds of stories you want to tell
- Impressive contacts book
- Compulsive reader of news from the UK and around the world
- Strong understanding of The Independent and its outlook
- Awareness of building an audience and finding stories on social media
- Spot, pitch and write compelling stories
- Deliver a combination of sharp news stories and longer-term investigations and features
- Lead The Independent’s coverage of race and racial injustice
- Work closely with news editor and premium editor to develop exclusives
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
Please click 'APPLY NOW' and send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
ESI Media is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.