The Telegraph, Business Production Journalist
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 160 years.
We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comment.
The PJ should have high-quality production skills and show initiative in their approach to bringing newspaper pages to sign-off.
The ability to craft sharp headlines, and to sub copy quickly and accurately are vital.
As part of The Telegraph’s newsroom-based team, you’ll also be able to build relationships with reporters to directly address any queries, resulting in higher-quality pages.
Experience in Business and Personal Finance journalism is compulsory for the role.
- Taking responsibility and pride in their role in the production of the Telegraph’s Business and Money pages across seven days (on a rota basis).
- Setting a high standard of quality in the production of pages, through quick and effective subbing of stories, sharp headlines or captions, as directed by the chief production journalist or desk editors.
- Ensuring that all deadlines are met with regard to the production of newsprint products.
- Maintaining a flexible approach at all times, willing and able to turn a hand to any section of the paper.
- Supporting the senior production team by making themselves available for new tasks after completing their existing work.
Essential skills required for the role:
- A proven track record for accuracy and attention to detail, with Business experience.
- Ability to craft headlines to the highest standard, showing the requisite knowledge to provide the readers with the necessary context and information.
- Expertise in use of all print-production systems, for words, pictures and pages.
- A flair for the "look" of pages including captions, graphics and pictures.
- A proven aptitude for interpreting instructions from senior colleagues and creating ready-for-sign-off pages, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to build relationships with reporters, liaising with them directly to address queries on stories.
Additional skills useful for the role:
- Experience with InDesign
- Flexibility and willingness to adopt new techniques, streamlining of production processes.
- Experience in different styles of sub-editing and working across different sections.
- A quick learner - able to adapt to new tasks with ease and eager to take on new roles when required
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent benefits.
- In-role development and access to formal development.
Click 'APPLY' now.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.