The Telegraph, Chief Production Journalist - Supplements
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 160 years.
We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comment.
The Chief Production Journalist will ensure the Saturday, Sunday, Review, and Travel supplements of The Telegraph are delivered to the highest standard and to deadline.
- Working closely with section editors and deploy subs to ensure the supplements are of the highest quality and published to hit deadlines.
- Working with the Picture desk, Design, and Graphics to oversee brilliant layout of pages, choice of images, and use of graphics.
- Directing production journalists to ensure copy and furniture is subbed to the highest standard.
- Planning work across the week to achieve smooth progression of copy.
- Acting both as a chief sub and revise sub as required.
- Liaising with Advertising and Edition Control on pagination and page flow.
- Working with the wider production team at weekends (on a rota basis).
Essential skills required for the role:
- Extensive experience in newspaper production journalism and a proven track record in chief subbing to ensure deadlines are met.
- Leadership qualities to manage, direct and deploy production journalists to meet print requirements, and strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with senior editors.
- Organisational skills to manage the production of several print sections on a weekly basis.
- Exceptional ability in writing headlines and page furniture.
- Flair for the look of print pages and astute understanding of page layout.
- A proven record for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Expertise in Adobe InDesign.
Additional skills useful for the role:
- Willingness to adapt to new ways of working, devising new techniques and streamlining production processes.
- Flexibility in working across shifts and in different roles to best help the wider production team.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to plan ahead and the capacity to adapt quickly to situations.
- Strong news judgment.
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent benefits.
- In-role development and access to formal development.
Click 'APPLY' now.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.