The Telegraph, Deputy Business News Editor
About The Telegraph
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 162 years.
We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a diverse and discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comment.
Our journalism is given life across our multi-platform portfolio, including The Telegraph website and app, The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph newspapers and their digital version in The Telegraph Edition app.
Our content is also distributed on a range of third party platforms including Apple News, Facebook, Snapchat, Google Home and Amazon Alexa. With 25 million UK visitors every month and 90 million browsers globally, our journalism reaches more people than ever before.
Our vision is to pioneer new ways to serve at least 10 million registered customers through quality journalism and experiences, bringing them closer to us and each other.
We’ll achieve this with the constant evolution of our journalistic techniques and by using the data and understanding we have of
The Telegraph’s well-informed audience to successfully further diversify into and grow revenue streams from advertising, travel, events, financial services and subscriptions.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs and people values, please visit our corporate site. To see our latest brand campaign visit telegraph.co.uk/wordschosenwell.
Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph business team covers everything from FTSE 100 companies to the best of the UK's small businesses, from house price data to macro-economic statistics, and everything in between.
The principal responsibility of the Deputy Business News Editor is to help drive the Telegraph Business and Technology team’s output - including breaking news, in-depth analysis and comment.
Their main focus will be to identify the most important stories of the day, work with the Business and Technology team to guide how those stories can best be covered (with a particular focus on the paper) in order to appeal to the widest-possible audience in the most compelling format, and to help edit the copy.
- Responsible for monitoring the wires, stock market announcements and social media to spot and react to breaking news stories.
- Helping to compile the business and technology news list for print and online.
- Working alongside reporters to ensure fast and accurate filing of stories.
- Writing and developing news stories across sectors as required.
- Editing and rewriting stories as required to make fit for publication.
- Working with the online news editors on how stories can be developed and adapted for print.
- Attending the various inter-departmental editorial conferences as required.
Essential skills required for the role
- Ability to edit, to write headlines and to sell a story.
- Experience of reporting on news and developing stories on digital and print platforms.
- Proven ability to spot stories and opportunities from an array of sources.
- Experience of working with journalists to make good stories better.
- Demonstrable proof of the ability to tell stories in a concise but interesting way.
- Experience of covering either business and/or economic news in a newspaper, newswire or digital environment.
- Highly numerically literate.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Experience of using pictures to illustrate stories.
- Experience of working with data and graphics teams to commission compelling graphics and illustrations.
What you can expect from The Telegraph if you’re the successful candidate:
This role is a chance to play a key part in the Telegraph’s Business team and help shape its coverage of market-moving news. It would suit someone with a keen eye for news and an interest in events at home and abroad that shape markets and affect people the world over.
Click 'APPLY' now.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.