ES Magazine, Editor
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The Evening Standard is an iconic London title that sets the agenda in politics and business, as well as being first with lifestyle content, major news and sports stories, in print and online.
Our future focus is on growing audiences and revenue with a digital first approach.
The team: ES Magazine
ES Magazine is the Evening Standard's weekly magazine and digital imprint. We are a dynamic, highly creative and enthusiastic team who work to deliver a digital first offering and premium print product filled with market-leading covers, thought-provoking and challenging profile interviews, glossy fashion shoots and authoritative beauty, culture, travel and food coverage.
Additionally, the magazine features outstanding columnists who lead the cultural conversation as befits one of the world’s leading capitals.
As a team, we are moving towards a new form of working, one which is nimble and synergetic in nature, in the vein of a start-up enterprise, with an emphasis on working collaboratively and sharing responsibility.
Here follows a detailed job description. We will all be expected to pivot across and into areas outside our direct roles to ensure a leaner and more efficient operation, with a renewed focus on digital platforms.
You are an excellent communicator with a strong editorial / content and journalism background, with senior leadership experience, great commercial acumen and the ability to deliver under pressure.
Highly organised, culturally astute and a great people manager with excellent attention to detail and an understanding of journalism law.
You are full of innovative commercial and editorial ideas, have a phenomenal black book of contacts and collaborators in fashion, the arts and photography.
Skills and Experience
- Proven experience of editing and title. Experience of sub-editing and proofreading both print and online content
- Experience working in a dynamic and fast-moving environment, a quick, accurate and confident writer.
- Able to work with external freelancers and contributors
- Experienced at planning, commissioning and editing content
- Managing a production process on deadline and on budget
- Able to deliver high-quality content to an outside brief
- Commercial experiences working with clients
This is a high profile leadership position in the ESI stable. The ES Editor is a key brand ambassador for the company and must be able to deliver an exciting vision and lead a creative team.
As well as being a skilled editorial executive, they will have a strong business sense, great brand contacts and be able to operate their own P and L. They should be an innovator across print and digital.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Being a key member of the senior leadership team
- Producing a high quality, industry leading title
- Entrepreneurial to commercial needs
- Commissioning and overseeing the commissioning of ingenious editorial from interviews, cover stars, fashion shoots and beyond for both print and digital
- Meticulous fact checking and editing of copy
- Leading a creative team
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
Please click 'APPLY NOW' to send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
ESI Media is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.