GardenersWorld.com, Deputy Editor
WE ARE IMMEDIATE
This is a new position within the GardenersWorld.com web team, supporting the Editor in the planning and delivery of digital content across the various brand platforms.
A BIT ABOUT THE ROLE
As our new Deputy Editor, you’ll work with brand colleagues to ensure that growth targets are met and assist in the development of innovative products that meet the needs of current and new audiences.
You will do this by:
- Working closely with the Editor and senior brand team to identify key editorial priorities
- Working with brand and central colleagues to understand audience behaviour and needs, and devising content plans accordingly
- Contributing to the development of new products in response to insights gained from audience research and data analysis
- Commissioning content, sourcing and managing contributors
- Overseeing the ongoing programme of SEO enhancements to site content, in line with best practice guidelines from the central Audience Intelligence team
- Writing/amending content and sourcing/editing images as required
- Making daily/weekly site updates and carrying out content maintenance in the CMS (Content Management System)
- Contributing to brand social media activity and participating in the management of the GardenersWorld.com forum
- Working with the Editor and sales team to create native advertising content that upholds brand values and complies fully with BBC editorial guidelines
- Working with the Editor and in-house video team to devise and deliver original and innovative video content
- Assisting the Reviews Editor in the delivery of online product reviews and videos
- Contributing to the creation of regular brand newsletters and Secret Garden emails for subscribers
- Liaising with the commercial and marketing teams over delivery of key messages across website, social media and brand newsletters
- Keeping up to date with gardening media by monitoring competitive/trade titles and websites, relevant national press and TV programme output
- Monitoring website email inbox for horticultural queries
- Complying with BBC Editorial Guidelines and BBC Studios Commercial Guidelines to help ensure our magazines and websites meet the values and standards of the BBC
- Complying with BBC Studios policies on Diversity and applying the principles of the policy when carrying out the role
You’ll be reporting into the Editor - GardenersWorld.com as well as working closely internally with sales, commercial, marketing as well as the in-house video team and the senior brand team.
A BIT ABOUT YOU
- Extensive experience in an editorial role on a national consumer magazine and/or website is essential
- Excellent writing and research skills
- An understanding of the aims of the Gardeners’ World brand and its target market
- Demonstrable knowledge and enthusiasm for subject matter and empathy with style and standards of output across the brand
- Understanding of latest content SEO best practice
- Experience of creating social media content for a prominent brand, with evidence of success
- Experience of working in a digital content management system
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and photo editing tools
- Experience of dealing with outside contributors/contractors
- Ability to work under pressure, to deadlines, with minimum supervision
- Ability to recognise the commercial potential of content, both in paper and online context
- Horticultural qualifications e.g. RHS or BTEC National Diploma are desirable
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate about all things horticultural. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.
It doesn’t just stop at editorial either - we have lots of opportunities to get involved and collaborate on projects and in communities internally, so no two days will ever be the same.
Click 'APPLY' now.