The Telegraph, Senior Personal Finance Reporter
About The Telegraph
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 162 years.
We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a diverse and discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comment.
Our journalism is given life across our multi-platform portfolio, including The Telegraph website and app, The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph newspapers and their digital version in The Telegraph Edition app. Our content is also distributed on a range of third party platforms including Apple News, Facebook, Snapchat, Google Home and Amazon Alexa. With 25 million UK visitors every month and 90 million browsers globally, our journalism reaches more people than ever before.
Our vision is to pioneer new ways to serve at least 10 million registered customers through quality journalism and experiences, bringing them closer to us and each other. We’ll achieve this with the constant evolution of our journalistic techniques and by using the data and understanding we have of
The Telegraph’s well-informed audience to successfully further diversify into and grow revenue streams from advertising, travel, events, financial services and subscriptions.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs and people values, please visit our corporate site. To see our latest brand campaign visit telegraph.co.uk/wordschosenwell
Role purpose and overview
A varied role responsible for producing engaging personal finance content for multiple channels, primarily digital and print.
- Writing in a range of formats including news, analysis, expert advice, guides, explainers and case studies (such as money makeovers)
- Developing original and compelling ideas and creative ways to present them - which could include graphics, calculators, video, polls etc
- Monitoring reader correspondence via email, story comments, post and social - and use this as a prompt for idea generation
- Monitoring analytics, again to help inform ideas and successful formats
- Spotting stories or digital projects from raw numbers
- Working collaboratively with colleagues on other desks where appropriate
- Essential skills required for the role
- Excellent, accurate writing across a range of formats
- Experience of writing and developing stories for digital and print
- An ability to explain and convey complex subjects clearly and comprehensively
- An ability to find new ways to cover the same topics or issues
- Knowledge of relevant data sources
- Enthusiasm, energy and ability to be part of our happy and successful team
- An ability to show initiative and work well under pressure
Additional skills useful for the role
- A network of contacts across the spectrum of core personal finance topics, pensions, tax, property, insurance, etc
- Knowledge and experience of a particular personal finance beat
- Confidence and creativity with headlines, standfirst, pictures, graphics, polls etc
- An understanding of the Telegraph audience and ideas for how to reach new readers
- Experience using InCopy and/or InDesign
- Editing and/or publishing experience
What you can expect from The Telegraph if you’re the successful candidate
- A smart, dynamic team of colleagues setting the agenda for personal finance journalism
- The fastest-growing personal finance desk in British journalism, benefitting from new investment on the back of a strong legacy
- A friendly, dedicated newsroom that encourages collaboration between desks and is setting the pace for the future of the industry
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.