SCI, PR & Content Manager
Full time or part-time, 12 months fixed term
SCI, a charity, was established in 1881 by a prominent group of forward-thinking scientists, inventors and entrepreneurs.
The Society was designed as an innovation hub where scientists and entrepreneurs could come together to share ideas and develop new products and processes to solve the societal challenges of the day. Many of our founders went on to create significant companies of the last Industrial Revolution – such as Unilever, ICI and Tate & Lyle.
Today, with members in over 70 countries and with over 200 companies and multiple academic institutions represented in our network, SCI’s community continues to innovate to provide solutions to some of society’s most demanding challenges of today – in areas such as Climate Change and Global Health. Today through its many activities SCI facilitates Open Innovation, identifies and promotes Emerging Technologies, and provides support for the Next Generation of scientists and engineers.
SCI is building its marketing capability and is now looking for a dynamic PR and Content Manager to raise the profile of the organisation as it heads into its 140th year.
We are looking for someone who is able to take complex scientific content and turn it into great stories and thought provoking content. Savvy social media skills and a good knowledge of different digital platforms is essential.
Applicants need to be experienced in developing media coverage and have an excellent network of relationships with relevant journalists.
Our ideal candidate will be a talented content writer with extensive experience of creating quality content designed to generate increased brand awareness, new leads and drive results.
The individual will also be responsible for devising a creative PR campaign to promote the charity’s 140th year celebrating the significant societal impacts of scientific innovation.
We are a small passionate team working with an extensive group of stakeholders, so the role would suit someone who appreciates the importance of science in society, who is able to collaborate and build relationships, and who wants to make a difference.
Ideally you would have experience working in a similar role within the science or innovation space.
The role will be based at home in the first instance but as of the summer will be part home based with regular time in our office in central London. The role can be full time or part time, but with a minimum of 3 days per week. Whilst initially a 12-month fixed term the role could develop into a permanent role.
- Help set up and then lead SCI’s new PR and Content team.
- Take responsibility for proactive and reactive management of all PR and Communications activity.
- Take responsibility for the creating a pipeline of effective PR content and support marketing campaigns.
- Oversee and ensure the successful use of SCI’s PR channels, including social media and the SCI website.
- Set up and run a press office function within SCI, establishing relationships with key journalists.
- Budget holder for team and outsourced PR activity.
Strategy and Plan
- To deliver SCI’s new PR Strategy and Plan.
Content creation and delivery
To tell compelling PR stories by:
- delivering excellent PR copy often sourced from complex science materials
- working effectively with colleagues across the organisation and our stakeholders to gather material from SCI’s many sources of content
- engaging in successful media relations activity, building strong relationships with target journalists
- overseeing the creation and delivery of a Social Media Strategy
- managing regular PR/content/social reporting to demonstrate ROI from PR activities
- introducing and managing a new media monitoring platform and contacts database.
Management of the Team
- Line-manage, motivate and coach three members of PR and Content team to maximise their performance.
Data Protection, Legislation and Licencing
- Ensure that SCI is fully compliant with any legislation and regulations relating to PR and media activities.
- Ideas generator with an eye for a good story.
- A minimum of 5-7 years experience in PR and communications.
- Proven ability to create impactful content.
- Established media contacts.
- Energy and enthusiasm for promoting activities and ideas.
- Excellent communication, presentation and management skills.
- Self starter with the ability to work under pressure and to multi-task.
Click 'APPLY' now.