Drapers, Senior Features Writer
Drapers is the UK’s market leading B2B publication for the fashion industry, with unparalleled authority in the sector.
We have a strong reputation for breaking exclusive new from the latest people moves, to mergers and acquisitions, to changes in strategy We operate across multiple platforms, including a premium monthly print magazine and growing digital channels.
About the Role:
Our features examine what the latest developments in the industry mean for our readers. We cover all facets of fashion retail, from design to manufacturing, buying, merchandising and retail.
This is an exciting time to be covering this sector, which is going through a period of rapid change driven in part by the rise in popularity of online shopping and, increasingly, the growing awareness of fashion’s environmental impact.
As Senior Features Writer, you will be expected to immerse yourself in the industry and build a strong network of contacts so you can pitch relevant and timely feature ideas that meet our readership’s needs and help build on Drapers’ reputation as an essential tool for those working in fashion.
You will have experience of writing engaging features suitable for a business audience, including profile interviews and news-driven analyses. You will also have done some commissioning and editing and will be looking to progress these skills further.
You will be personable and able to establish and nurture contacts with key people in the industry, as well as work closely with other members of the team.
You will have an NCTJ qualification or equivalent journalism experience, and exceptional written English.
- Write features for Drapers on a wide range of topics related to the fashion industry, from detailed analyses of certain areas – e.g., the plus-size menswear market – to latest trends in textile manufacturing or developments in technology, logistics and property.
- Secure and write interviews with high-profile industry figures.
- Work with the Deputy Editor to plan features content for the website and magazine and take the lead on some of the commissioning and editing.
- Work with the art team to ensure all content is presented to the highest standard, coming up with new design and layout ideas across print and digital.
- Work with the production team and Head of Digital Engagement to optimise headlines for effectiveness, and ensure all copy is published according to house style and the highest standards of spelling and grammar.
- Undertake elements of news reporting when required, including on average one early newsletter shift per week.
How to apply:
Please click 'APPLY NOW' send your CV and a covering letter including your salary expectations and notice.
Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.
Drapers is owned by Emap, which is part of Metropolis Group. We are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
These include 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell), health plan and life insurance cover, cycle to work scheme, discounted gym memberships, retail discount vouchers and more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.