Tom's Guide, Smart Homes & Appliance Editor (Bath or London)
One of the world’s fastest-growing websites, Tom's Guide upgrades your life by helping you decide what products to buy, showing you how to get the most out of them and solving problems as they arise.
Tom's Guide is here to help you accomplish your goals, find great products without the hassle and make purchases with confidence.
From our strong foundation in consumer technology coverage, Tom’s Guide’s primary ambition is to help you leverage tech to achieve your ultimate goal, whether it’s getting in shape, protecting your kids, being more productive, managing your money more effectively or just having fun.
Job Summary & Purpose
Tom’s Guide is looking for an editor to oversee all of our home and appliance coverage.
This person will create and commission home and appliance content which helps users choose the best appliances and products for their apartment, home, or outdoor space.
The Homes Editor needs to be someone who can see in-between the reader’s needs.
To be able to tell what they would like to read and do it better than anyone else on the web, taking in the right amount of knowledge to give authority in buying guides and reviews without getting caught in pointless details and delivering up-to-date news that informs and educates.
Key role responsibilities
The ideal candidate will be tasked with growing the home and appliance coverage on Tom’s Guide, delivering best-in-class buying guides and reviews of products and services, writing features that help people understand how to manage their money and which service they should sign up for, and maintaining the site’s suite of evergreen content.
Working closely with the managing editor, you’ll be responsible for creating an audience growth plan, including key subject areas and supporting content for each home topic covered.
You’ll have first-rate knowledge of editorial SEO, naturally, and ownership of planners and key documents.
Your inherent knowledge of the sector will ensure you are able to identify and align with key trends and react to market conditions in a timely and appropriate way.
The job will be split between discovering and delivering great news and deals around the home channel, and updating and enhancing buying guides to ensure they are both relevant to the reader and easily found through SEO, social or direct traffic means.
Essential skills and experience:
- A strong understanding of your website’s subject matter and associated audiences
- First-rate SEO expertise and a keen interest in and understanding of analytical tools, which you’ll use to inform your content creation
- Excellent social media knowledge
- Experience managing freelancers and monthly budget management
- A commitment to quality and tireless dedication to improvement
- Ability to think commercially
- Excellent industry contacts
- Proven ability to write high-quality engaging, relevant content
- A keen eye on how to balance an article – delivering authority alongside brevity to entertain the reader while delivering concise info.
- Knowledge of digital content approaches, including websites, social media and newsletters
- Numerate and analytical, with an ability to interpret data sets and draw meaningful conclusions
- Ability to review succinctly and develop a system to help users know which products and services to buy through strong recommendations
- A desire to develop and grow the Homes channel using innovative ideas and keeping abreast of industry developments and trends.
- Ability to work in a wider team
- Excellent communication skills
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
- Annual Future conference - get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what's next
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
Click 'APPLY' now.