Reporter, Venture Capital Journal - CA / NY / Remote
VCJ reporters will focus on covering the venture community. Specifically, the reporter will write exclusive, insightful and actionable stories about venture firms and their limited partners that differentiate VCJ from other publications which similarly cover venture capital investing.
Reporters will aim to produce content that leads with analysis and informed perspective.
This will involve collaborating with the editor on ideas, sourcing and story structures with an eye to delivering valuable information that consistently speaks to our core audience of VCs and their LPs.
Other responsibilities will include writing articles that profile firms and people, identify and analyze trends in fundraising and other activities, and other key community developments including key personnel moves.
At all times, however, the goal is to seek out the impact of those developments rather than merely recounting the news.
- Develop cover stories and original news and features while also collaborating with the broader Private Equity Group, including Buyouts, Private Equity International, Secondaries Investor and others.
- Conduct interviews and develop relationships with sources and readers (VCs, their LPs and others).
- Receive assignments or follow up on news leads and tips from sources
- Regularly attend industry events either virtually or in-person. The reporter may also be asked to moderate panels at the company’s conferences (either in person or virtually).
- Communicate regularly with the editor and meet deadlines.
- Be highly attentive to details and accuracy.
- This role will involve gaining access to and publishing sensitive and privileged information. The reporter will be expected to understand and adhere to journalistic ethics and consult with editors on any potential conflicts.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a tech or business reporter. Experience covering venture capital or related financial field to understand investing and GP-LP relationships a plus.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent observation and judgment skills to extract develop and develop compelling stories.
- Superb communication and networking skills.
- Computer proficiency, such as using Office, online search tools, databases, WordPress, and facility with social media platforms, such as LinkedIn.
The ideal candidate:
- Has excellent people skills
- Stays organized and calm under pressure
- Is comfortable multi-tasking
- Is deadline-oriented
- Is self-motivated
- Is excited about engaging with a sophisticated audience.
- Editor of Venture Capital Journal
Click 'APPLY' now.