i, Assistant News Editor
i is looking for an Assistant News Editor to work in its growing newsroom.
The ideal candidate will have excellent judgement and the ability to edit and write quicky and concisely, as well as the skills to plan news features, investigations and exclusive projects. They will work across our digital and print journalism, have good knowledge of media law and at least two years’ experience on the newsdesk or as a senior reporter of a national or major regional news publisher. The role will be hands-on in helping to shape and decide i’s coverage on the major stories of the day, both online and in print.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Helping to lead our team of specialist correspondents and reporters.
- Work with reporters to come up with ideas for news features, investigations and long-form reads, including for i's flagship iweekend edition
- Commissioning news and features for publication across our digital and print products.
- Editing copy.
- Liaising with reporters, editors and news exec colleagues to deliver brilliant coverage – while hitting news deadlines. This includes the teatime app edition and the print edition.
- Copy tasting, identifying breaking stories, suggesting original angles on agenda news.
- Presenting story ideas to editors at conference on occasion.
Skills and experience:
- A self-starter bursting with ideas and a track record in developing exclusive journalism.
- Two years’ experience on national or major regional newsdesks, news websites or as a senior reporter.
- Commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Excellent knowledge of the home news agenda from Westminster to entertainment.
- Strong news judgement – and an ability to spot news stories and make the case for them in conference or to individual editors.
- Superb news and feature writing skills and the ability to work at speed accurately and under pressure.
- Ability to give direction, advice and feedback to reporters.
- Understanding of the unique demands of digital and print publishing.
- Approach the news agenda in a creative and original manner.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
Closing Date: 24th February 2021