i, News Reporter
i is looking for brilliant news reporters to work across its digital and print journalism.
We are looking for creative thinkers who can go beyond the headlines to pitch explainers and original formats that will attract new readers, and who are hungry for agenda-setting scoops. You will understand how a story is handled differently for digital and print audiences and will have a sound understanding of all elements of digital publishing. You will be part of a growing news operation that has won multiple awards and seen increased investment year-on-year. You will be versed in turning around news stories to tight deadlines. You will be prepared to work on a rota that includes weekends and early and late shifts. This is a great opportunity for a reporter with experience in a fast-paced news environment to join a thriving publishing operation at an exciting time in its development.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Pitch and write news stories daily.
- Think of innovative ways to go beyond straight news reports, while still filing stories to strict deadlines.
- Ability to cover news events effectively for digital and print formats.
- Write quickly and accurately.
- Write across a number of different topics, from UK news to foreign, health, consumer, politics and more.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
- Commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage. Appreciation for i’s audience and tone, and how to write stories that will appeal to our readers.
- Work with the audience team (including analysts, SEO, social, newsletter and app editors) to ensure that your stories are optimised to reach the widest readership.
- Package your stories with pictures, inline links and video where necessary to create compelling digital storytelling.
Skills and experience:
- Experience working in a digital breaking news environment
- A hunger to report on the biggest issues of the day.
- An enquiring and creative mind to go beyond the headlines.
- Able to file clean, accurate copy working to demanding deadlines.
- Experience of working in a cross-platform environment desirable.
- Confident with CMS and digital production.
- Strong team player who is happy work collaboratively with others.
- Excellent standards of written English.
- NCTJ (or similar) standard qualification.
- Effective and calm under pressure.
With your application, please include three ideas for story formats that help to unpack this story for our readers - 'A major retailer with a well-known CEO announces it is closing 50 stores and laying off 5,000 staff' - as if you were pitching ideas to the morning news editor to develop our coverage in time for a lunchtime bulletin.
Closing Date: 24th February 2021