i, Political Reporter
i is looking for a talented political reporter to join our expanding team of political correspondents.
Our politics coverage is fundamental to i's appeal and highly popular with our readers online and in print. The successful candidate must have experience of writing politics for major news websites and / or national or regional newspapers.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Identifying and writing breaking political stories for i's award-winning website, inews.co.uk.
- Offering analysis and explainers on the major talking points of the day for online and print.
- Breaking original news stories that will set the agenda and hold powerful interests to account.
- Working with political colleagues to cover on-diary events as well as offer original political coverage.
- Working with the editors of i's flagship iweekend edition on original long-form stories, exclusives and investigations.
Skills and experience:
- Two years’ experience as a political reporter or in a specialism closely associated with politics (such as social affairs).
- A fascination with British politics and in depth knowledge of Britain’s political landscape.
- A commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial but incisive coverage.
- Ability to quickly identify political stories – and be able to see through the gaps that others may not - and to write quickly, accurately and under pressure.
- Ability to recognise stories early that will go on to dominate the agenda.
- Thorough understanding of the demands of digital and print publishing and knowledge of digital publishing protocols.
- Understanding of the role that social media plays in political journalism, including promoting stories as well as finding them.
- Willingness to offer political analysis within the scope of i's core branding of impartial reporting.
- Good political contacts.
- An ability to tackle the news agenda in a creative and original manner.
Closing Date: 24th February 2021