i, iweekend Writer
i is developing its award-winning iweekend edition and we are recruiting an experienced feature writer to join our team.
This journalist will work alongside iweekend’s editors on compelling features across a variety of topics, from hard-hitting interviews to news features and lifestyle trends. They will understand the unique demands of digital and print publishing and enjoy being part of an ambitious team.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
Key areas of responsibility
- Pitch and write unique features that will build a habitual audience online and in print, including impactful journalism that will run on the front of the iweekend print edition, app and website.
- Contribute to iweekend’s digital publishing package.
- Oversee regular columns including daily recipes, days out and podcasts.
- Contribute to the iweekend team’s commissioning meetings, suggesting new formats for our coverage.
- Help to plan future coverage, including working with publishers and agents around new releases and upcoming events. Be confident scouting out new opportunities for iweekend content.
- Work quickly, creatively and accurately under pressure to deadlines.
- Use iweekend audience data to inform pitches.
Skills and Experience
- Experience working in features for a national, major regional or magazine publisher, and in digital publishing.
- Experience in lifestyle journalism desirable, with good contacts.
- A self-starter who consistently offers compelling ideas with brilliant execution.
- Ability to write quickly, accurately and with flair.
- A strong team player, comfortable working under pressure to deadlines.
- Commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
- Experience with print production systems and with digital CMS desirable.
To apply, please complete the application form below enclosing a CV and a cover letter, explaining what you would do with the role and including three examples of your writing, and weekend-friendly feature ideas that would be suitable for the front page of iweekend (in print or app format).
Closing Date: 24th February 2021