i, iweekend News Features Editor
i is developing its award-winning iweekend edition and we are recruiting an experienced News Features Editor to join our team.
This editor will work with reporters and correspondents to conceive ideas for news features, investigations and long-form reads. They will commission and edit copy and offer impactful journalism that will run on the front of the iweekend print edition, app and website. They will help to commission and edit iweekend’s digital publishing package – and to deputise for iweekend's Executive Editor.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
Key areas of responsibility
- Commission and edit long-format news features including investigations, interviews, lighter reads and campaigns for a weekend audience, in print and online.
- Commission, edit and schedule additional features (both news and specialist) for iweekend’s digital publishing package.
- Deputise for iweekend’s Executive Editor, through editing cover, team management, commissioning and working with other senior editorial executives.
- Forward plan effectively, identifying opportunities for compelling news and feature journalism.
- Superb news and features editing, working quickly, creatively and accurately under pressure, to tight deadlines.
- Work closely with news executives to deliver high-impact journalism from reporters.
- Use iweekend audience insight to inform commissioning decisions.
- Contribute to the iweekend team’s publishing strategy across all platforms.
Skills and experience
- Experience working on the news desk of a national or major regional publisher.
- A self-starter bursting with ideas and a proven track record in developing exclusive journalism.
- Deft at commissioning, editing and writing feature journalism.
- An understanding of the unique demands of digital and print publishing.
- Excellent knowledge of the news agenda from Westminster to entertainment.
- Confident in managing colleagues, including direction, advice and feedback for reporters and writers.
- Strong team player who enjoys working in a busy newsroom to deadlines.
- Commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
- Experience with print production systems and with digital CMS desirable.
- Experience of working in a multiplatform or a digital news publishing environment.
- Able to write quickly, accurately and with flair.
To apply, please visit our site and enclose a CV and a cover letter, explaining what you would do with the role and including three weekend-friendly news feature ideas that would be suitable for the front page of iweekend (in print or app format), by 24th February 2021