i, Visual Data Journalist
i is looking for a brilliant visual data journalist to develop impactful, original visual reporting across multiple platforms, including inews.co.uk, our app, social platforms and print editions.
We are looking for someone who is curious and creative. The successful candidate will have a proven knack for finding compelling ideas buried in mounds of data and turning it into impactful content for our readers. They will be a strong team player and will help to shape i's overall data visualisation strategy.
The ideal candidate will be able to scrape, clean and wrangle data to write stories and create compelling visualisations online.
They will also help other reporters with compelling visual storytelling and the correct use of data in their work - including spot-checking reporting by other members of the newsroom.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
Key areas of responsibility
- Use data and analytical techniques to find and tell stories - covering both topical stories and deeper analyses – and presenting them in compelling, visual ways.
- Collaborate with beat journalists on longer stories that combine original statistical research with conventional reporting.
- Working with editors to explore, propose and execute new formats.
- Working with other journalists in the newsroom to create compelling visualisations for our journalism.
Skills and experience
- A keen interest in data-driven reporting and visual journalism.
- Experience planning and conducting data analyses, and creating compelling stories or visualizations using the results.
- Experience working as a news journalist in national, regional or specialist media.
- Ability to generate and pitch original ideas.
- An inquisitive, focused individual who enjoys learning.
- Digital design and illustration, (fluency with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or alternative tools).
- Proficiency in Excel or Google Sheets.
- An understanding of R, or an equivalent programming tool such as Python, D3, etc.
- Statistical modelling in natural, social or data science.
- Knowledge and interest in news, politics, social affairs and other issues.
Closing Date: 24th February 2021