i, Feature Writer
i is looking for a brilliant feature writer to contribute to our award-winning journalism. As part of our growing features team, you will conceive, write and edit engaging features for our digital and print audiences. You will enjoy a wide remit, from hard-hitting interviews and news features to lifestyle trends, with the chance to introduce new formats.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
Key areas of responsibility
- Pitch, write, edit and commission features and long reads online and in print.
- Forward plan effectively, identifying opportunities for compelling features.
- Use audience insight to inform ideas and commissioning.
- Work quickly, creatively and accurately under pressure to deadline, to produce and edit superb features.
- Contribute to the features team’s publishing strategy across all platforms.
Skills and experience
- A self-starter bursting with ideas and a track record in developing original and exclusive journalism.
- An understanding of the unique demands of digital and print publishing.
- Deft at identifying ideas and trends that can be turned into impactful feature journalism.
- Experience of working in a multiplatform or digital publishing environment.
- Ability to write sparkling and engaging copy.
- Confident in giving feedback to commissioned writers.
- A commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Experience with digital CMS desirable.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
To apply, please visit our site and enclose a CV and a cover letter, including three feature ideas that would be suitable for publication online and in print. For each idea, please outline how you would tailor publication differently for i’s website and for print, explaining why.
Closing Date: 24th February 2021