TechRadar, Software and Downloads Editor
The Software and Downloads Editor is responsible for helping our readers find and download the software they need with clear, well-researched news, reviews, buying guides, features and tutorials, as well as providing clear and defined authority in key software help for our readers.
Whether they want help negotiating the latest big update for their PC or Mac, a free office suite for their desktop PC, a premium media player for macOS or a video editing app for iPhone, the Software and Downloads Editor will guide them through the very best options available, explaining the key features of each program and how to use it effectively.
Free and open source software can be a minefield for users, and the Downloads editor will guide readers to legitimate programs that they can trust while avoiding the chaff. Strong writing skills and creative thinking are essential, as are a passion for helping others and willingness to explore new topics.
The Software and Downloads Editor will develop a content strategy and stay on top of trends, researching the types of software people are looking for and explaining how to achieve the results they want.
SEO skills are important, helping TechRadar’s expert content rank highly without compromising its usefulness to readers. The Downloads Editor will also work with freelance journalists, and experience of commissioning will be a great advantage.
While there will be ambitious targets in place, the key metric will be quality - offering a channel that oozes expertise, authority and trust above all else. You’ll hold regular 1:1s with your line manager to discuss progress, but you’ll ultimately be in charge of the direction and content of the channel.
This is an exciting opportunity for a writer looking to move up to a more challenging role, working as part of a close-knit team on a fast-paced and dynamic website with a reputation for excellence.
- Developing an established and important strand of TechRadar
- Focus on marrying quality with output - hitting targets while ensuring they meet a high standard
- Developing and executing the downloads & software strategy
- Working with other channel eds to infuse downloads throughout the site - cameras, wearables, home tech etc - to help readers achieve their goals.
- Monitoring and maintaining your budget to ensure investment is being used in the smartest ways.
- Managing contributors (internal and external) to build content pyramids in downloads.
- Discussing and adhering to targets set by Computing Editor.
- Making sure all content fits with the TechRadar brand and mission statement - to help readers make the best decision on what they want to buy.
- Be willing to experiment with new content ideas and trial new formats to see if we can engage readers in more varied ways.
- Constantly exploring new keywords and areas to take the channel to help growth.
- Maintaining, updating and improving buying guides and how-tos, and making sure they’re easily discoverable by the people who want to read them.
- Developing contacts with relevant experts in the industry to help augment and improve articles, giving readers confidence in what we’re writing.
- Be the face of software and downloads - live and breathe the content, becoming an industry expert quickly to bring an experiential feel to the content.
What do I need to succeed?
- Proven capability to develop content
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to grow traffic
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven at detailed, useful analysis
- Decision-making skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Planning and organisational skills
- Budget management
- Excellent time-management
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Central office locations with safe working spaces and tonnes of flexibility to work remotely as required
- Discounted digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Annual Future conference - get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what's next
- Regular colleague events arranged by our wonderful Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues