Total Guitar, Content Editor
About Total Guitar
From beginner to expert, first chord to rock god, Total Guitar is the must-have magazine for all guitar lovers! Each issue is packed with lessons, expertly written tabs of your favourite songs, tips for improving your playing technique and advice from some of the world’s best players. No matter what level you’re at, Total Guitar magazine will help you improve your technique and master the guitar.
Each issue has the hottest reviews of all the newest guitars, effects pedals, amps and accessories – everything you’ll need on your journey to becoming a guitar legend. You’ll also find exclusive interviews and in-depth articles about some of the world’s most iconic guitarists.
Job Summary & Purpose
The Content Editor is responsible for the planning and creation of Total Guitar's features section every issue, 13 times a year. Working closely with the Editor, you will help plan, commission and create content for the magazine, and manage a team of freelance contributors. You'll bring your knowledge and passion for all things guitar-related to every meeting, and work to deadlines to ensure the magazine goes to press on time. You'll have your finger on the pulse of the latest and greatest guitar music, and assist the Editor in creating engaging cover features. Much of the content you produce will also appear on Guitarworld.com so an understanding and appreciation of digital content would be valuable.
Key role responsibilities
- Produce well-written copy to deadlines
- Conduct and write up interviews with world-famous guitarists
- Plan, commission and create the features section of the magazine
- Edit and fact-check submitted copy
- Work closely with the Editor to create engaging cover features
- Identify the hottest new artists and propose feature ideas to the Editor every issue
- Develop and maintain productive industry and PR relationships
Essential skills and experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Knowledge and passion for all things guitar-related
- A finger on the pulse of the latest guitarists, gear and guitar music
- Proven experience in editorial commissioning
- Ability to work on own initiative and under pressure, to deadline
- Excellent time-management skills
- Experience in proofreading and editing editorial copy
- Experience of working with InDesign
- Experience with audio and video is desirable