Fabulous Deputy Chief - Sub Editor
4 Day a Week, Permanent Contract.
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Sun is the biggest news brand in the UK, publishing hundreds of stories a day and reaching over 170m unique users digitally every month. Our exclusives set the news agenda and our campaigns have changed the lives of many.
Passionate about punctuation? Crazy about captions? Keen to take on a more senior subbing role? Then we want to hear from you!
The Sun On Sunday’s Fabulous magazine is looking for a dynamic, hard-working Deputy-Chief Sub-Editor to join its busy production team four days a week. The ideal candidate will thrive under pressure, be super-organised and have experience of subbing on women's or lifestyle titles, preferably in a weekly environment. You'll need to be confident enough to step up and support the desk head and deputy when needed, and happy to muck in with general admin tasks.
First and foremost, you'll have an excellent grasp of English grammar, spelling and punctuation. But you will also be adept at spotting inaccuracies and cutting copy without losing the Fabulous tone of voice - all under the pressure of tight deadlines. Plus, you’ll be bursting with creative ideas for headlines, captions and sells on everything from on-trend fashion stories to gritty real-life reads.
· Ensure copy is error-free, factually correct, adheres to Fabulous house style, and entertains and informs readers.
· Suggest creative, original and inspiring headlines, sells, coverlines and captions.
· Oversee essential admin on the Production desk, working alongside the Sub-Editor, to help the magazine run smoothly.
· Perform key production tasks, such as updating flatplans.
· Step up when the desk head or Deputy Production Editor are out of office.
· Liaise with internal stakeholders such as Commercial and Marketing when needed.
· Contribute to ideas meetings and brainstorms.
· Proven subbing track record.
· Strong attention to detail.
· Ability to remain organised and unflappable under pressure to deliver work at a consistently high standard.
· A whizz at Adobe Indesign and familiar with magazine workflows.
. Pro-active and displays a willingness to take on any task.
. Takes initiative in order to achieve desired results.
. Self-starter, organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches.
. Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams.
Flexible Working: At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.