Deputy chief sub-editor
7 days left
- Full Time
The Independent is seeking a deputy chief sub-editor to work on the daily edition app, premium content and the website, to ensure content is produced to the highest possible standard. They will support the chief sub-editor and reinforce the importance of lively, creative headlines and page furniture, as well as consistency with house style. You will be expected to edit content daily and set an example with your attention to detail and clear communication.
You will be able to:
- Deputise for the chief sub-editor when required
- Set an example to help drive up subbing standards
- Generate ideas to improve the daily edition and premium content
- Adapt quickly to changes and communicate effectively
- Work speedily and accurately across a range of stories – news, comment, features, business
- Spot and eradicate errors/typos and make improvements to copy
- Write good headlines and page furniture
- Work to tight deadlines on the daily edition and premium content
- The deputy chief sub-editor will be expected to step into the role of chief sub-editor and ensure the daily edition and premium content is produced to the highest possible standard
- Support the chief sub-editor by communicating to sub-editors and reinforce the importance of lively, creative headlines and page furniture as well as consistency with house style
- Work hand-in-hand with the chief sub-editor to develop ways to improve the daily edition and premium content, eg suggesting additional page furniture in articles and navigation tools such as cross refs
- Help ensure communication is effective within the production team, and between production and editorial, and bring any blockages (eg copyflow or missed deadlines) to the attention of the chief sub-editor and daily edition editor
- An overview of articles is required to make sure they are effectively subbed with imaginative page furniture and free from errors
- You will be expected to edit content daily and set an example with your attention to detail by subbing to the highest possible standard and producing error-free copy and interesting headlines, stand firsts and captions
- The deputy chief sub-editor will be part of a team creating The Independent daily edition mobile app and premium content. This will include weekend work and stepping into the night editor’s role when required. Candidate will be expected to work 40 hours per week (not including breaks).
- Take on administrative duties when required, including organising the production rota, holiday cover and budget
Skills and experience:
- Good general knowledge of current affairs
- Flexibility, can-do attitude
- Willingness to learn
- Digital experience would be an advantage for this role but not essential
- Shift work including weekends.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality
- Responsive Delivery – Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.
ESI Media is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: The position is currently remote, due to current to current government guidelines during the Pandemic. In future, you will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8