Sunday Mirror / Sunday People, Deputy News Editor
The Sunday Mirror & Sunday People is looking for a deputy news editor. This is a fantastic opportunity to play a vital role in our newsroom.
The ideal candidate will have a strong and proven track record in journalism producing exclusives for national papers.
Reporting to the Head of News, you will be full of ideas for agenda-setting stories and instinctively know how to drive the week's key stories forwards.
You will have newsdesk experience on a national title, agency, or a busy daily regional title and have strong organisational and people skills.
So, who are we?
Reach plc is home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Work with the Head of News and reporters to generate ideas and exclusive stories
- Help lead our team of reporters covering news stories, investigations and campaigns
- Present the news list and stories to the editor in conference when required
- Find and develop stories that will appeal to Sunday Mirror and Sunday People readers
- Edit and manage copy to tight deadlines ensuring accuracy
Who are we looking for?
- Have a strong understanding of the unique nature of Sunday newspapers
- Have an eye for detail to bring stories to life
- Be a good motivator
- Have excellent contacts
- Be able to work calmly and effectively under pressure
- Have excellent legal and IPSO knowledge
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.