The Independent, Deputy International Editor
The Independent is looking for a Deputy International Editor to play a key role in commissioning, editing and publishing stories from our correspondents and contributors around the world.
The ideal candidate will have first-hand foreign reporting experience, a good knowledge of international affairs as well as a deep understanding of all aspects of online journalism.
You must be confident leading coverage of breaking stories, driving exclusives, spotting great follow-ups and writing enticing headlines.
- Commission, edit and publish breaking news stories and longer-term exclusives
- Write engaging headlines for all articles, including news, features, analysis and comment
- Work closely and collaboratively with senior news editors and other department heads
- Work with the audience team to ensure articles adhere to key SEO principles
Skills and experience
- At least two years’ experience in a similar role for a national newspaper or news website
- A proven track record of editing breaking news under intense deadline pressure
- Skilled at writing engaging headlines
- Understanding of how to use SEO and social media to drive audience engagement
ESI Media is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will usually be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8. Due to the pandemic, we are currently working from home until restrictions ease.