Sub Editor/Production Assistant, TV Mag & TV Soap (one day a week role) - The Sun
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Team: The Sun is Britain’s biggest biggest-selling newspaper and largest mobile news brand - and still growing - with a talented, diverse team who publish the best news, sport, showbiz and lifestyle coverage in the business.
Why are we here?
To help attract more readers to enjoy TV Mag and TV Soap. We relentlessly seek to lead the market, delivering the most engaging and informative content available.
How do we contribute?
By delivering accurate features and listings pages under pressure and having a knack for spotting typos and fitting text. The standards on TV Magand TV Soap are extremely high and you’ll need to be confident that you can achieve them.
What's my personal contribution?
As well as having a way with words, you’ll be self-motivated, brimming with enthusiasm and confident when it comes to tweaking copy or improving sentence structure. You will have sub-editing experience on a national consumer magazine, ideally some listings knowledge, and a genuine passion for TV and related content.
What are my accountabilities?
- You need to be fully aware of potential legal issues and must always act in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct.
- Striking up good working relationships with colleagues in other areas is vital.
- Keen attention to detail and meticulous fact-checking. Must ensure all facts and background necessary for the story to be understood are included and subbed to house style.
- Consulting with the writer in order to resolve issues with copy and with the art desk and picture department should any layout or image changes be required.
- Must be confident sending pages to press.
- Will be involved in the production of national and regional listings pages..
- Copy is subbed and presented to the editors free of errors and inaccuracies. Must re-sub if the editor so requires.
Must be prepared to contribute to any additional developments, projects or platforms as and when required.
Required Skills and Behaviours
- An exceptional grasp of grammar and encyclopaedic spelling skills.
- An obsessive interest in television and popular culture, bags of drive and confidence, and a cracking sense of humour. An interest in or knowledge of soaps is desirable.
- Exceptional time-management skills.
- Has a light or serious touch where required – can adapt subbing style to story.
- Must have experience working with InDesign and soft-proofing systems.