Saga Magazine, Commissioning Editor
** Remote/home working allowed with occasional visits to our London and Folkestone offices**
Saga Magazine, aimed at people aged 50 and over, is the UK’s bestselling monthly subscription magazine - with over 210K subscribers. We pride ourselves on creating a brilliantly informative, thought-provoking and entertaining read. Contributors include Dr Mark Porter (Health), Hunter Davies (Dating), Emily Dean (Beauty), Paul Lewis (Money) and Alan Johnson (Agony Uncle) as well as our must-read columnists Jeremy Paxman and Jenni Murray. We cover everything from culture and celebrity features to relationship and trend pieces.
Commissioning great content is fundamental to what we do, and we are recruiting for two features roles. Both commissioning editors will need to be versatile and able to work across a wide range of subject areas – from celebrity and culture to travel and health.
You will need experience of commissioning on a national newspaper or national consumer magazine. You will also need to love digital and print magazines, as well as having great contacts, strong copy-editing skills and brilliant ideas. And in return, you can look forward to all the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast-paced career with an excellent benefits package.
Please note, The Saga Magazine team is currently working remotely, and will continue to do so long-term. We will however plan brainstorming sessions and some office-based working (in London and Folkestone) during press weeks once permitted to do so.
Your top 5 responsibilities will be to:
- Commission and edit
- Originate ideas for print and online
- Work within a ‘commission once, publish anywhere’ model to ensure content can be quickly repurposed for print, digital and social
- Be responsible for meeting press and digital deadlines, ensuring Saga Magazine is delivered on time and on budget
- Maintain excellent contacts with relevant PRs, opinion formers, columnists and writers as well as keeping up to speed with current affairs and all topical issues relevant to our Saga Magazine readership
The Ideal Candidate
You will need:
- Proven experience working in a commissioning editor role on a national newspaper or consumer magazine
- A proven track record of editing and commissioning
- A clear vision of the purpose and aims of Saga Magazine
- Wide knowledge of and passion for what interests the over-50s market
- Versatility and the ability to work across a range of subject areas
Our values are:
- Precision Pace - Always owning and making things happen
- Empathy – Always aware of others
- Curiosity – Always asking why
- Collaboration – Always one team, the Saga team!
- The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Remote working available where possible
- The choice to buy a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 year’s service
- Workplace Pension
- AXA Be Supported
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
Click APPLY to visit our site and complete your application
About The Company
Having spent our first 30 years focused on travel, Saga launched Saga Magazine and developed home and motor insurance and financial services in the 1980s. Private medical and pet insurance followed in the 1990s, along with the launch of our own cruise ship operation. The strength of the Saga brand provides the Group with the ability to develop in-house or partner with suppliers to offer our customers and members highly differentiated, competitively priced products which meet their evolving needs.
Saga exists to help our customers and members lead the life they want to lead. To succeed in this, we know that the most important thing to do is to listen to our customers and members. At the heart of our business model is our drive to know more about our customers’ wants and needs so we are best placed to serve them.
Applying this approach over the past 65 years has enabled us to become the UK's specialist provider of products and services to people aged over 50 in the UK. The Saga brand has become one of the most recognised and trusted brands amongst UK consumers in this demographic and is recognised for its high quality products and exceptional standards of service. These include cruises and holidays, insurance, personal finance, the Saga Magazine and our membership programme, Possibilities.
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities and those over who are over 50.
We are an official Disability Confident Committed employer and ensure that our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible and we will make reasonable adjustments as required.
We are a member of the 30% Club and partner with Women Ahead which offers us a fantastic opportunity to take part in a leading, global, cross-company, leadership mentoring scheme to champion female talent.
We are a signatory of the Armed Services Covenant and have received a Silver Award from the Employer Recognition Scheme.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.