The Independent, Audience Editor
The Independent is looking for a dynamic and experienced assistant audience editor to join our growing team, managing our social media accounts and implementing SEO strategy.
The right candidate will be a highly organised self-starter, with a deep understanding of how to achieve audience growth across all platforms.
We are looking for someone who has a genuine passion for social media, who is on the pulse of trends and new platforms for growth and has an excellent understanding of SEO strategies and how to optimise content. You’ll be working in a fast-paced environment where accuracy and creativity are key so the ability to think under pressure is vital.
You must have at least one year experience in either social media or SEO - ideally both. We are preferably looking for candidates from a journalistic background with newsroom experience, but will consider someone with excellent SEO skills and a strong interest in news.
This role will be remote to begin with as our company closely follows the latest guidelines surrounding Covid-19 but will ultimately be based in our High Street Kensington office.
Key responsibilities and skills:
- Help to develop and implement social media strategy across all platforms
- Optimise published content and react to trends
- Write social and SEO headlines for content across the website
- Update and optimise articles for search engines
- Post to social media - Facebook, Twitter and Instagram primarily
- Use analytics platforms to report on performance and spot opportunities
- Suggest stories and subjects for different areas of the site, from news to culture, lifestyle to sport
- Drive the growth of Independent across social media
Essential skills and experience
- Experience of successfully working in a similar role at a similar title.
- Strong familiarity with the Independent and our coverage.
- Proven track record for increasing followers, engagement and traffic.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills required to manage the daily/weekly/monthly publishing flow of an editorial team.
- Experience collaborating with editors to grow and increase audience, both on site and across platforms.
- Proficiency in analysing complex issues and developing actionable insights and plans – using data from proprietary platform analytics (e.g. Facebook) and or third-party aggregate sources (e.g., CrowdTangle).
- Experience using SEO tools (e.g. Webmaster tools, SEMrush) and reporting and analytics tools (Omniture, Chartbeat).
- Skilled content creator.
- Expert knowledge of trends and tools for social media platforms.
- Experience of working in a dynamic fast-paced media environment.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
Click APPLY NOW and send us your CV and covering letter.