Retail Week, Reporter (FTC Mat Cover)
We're looking for a Reporter (FTC Mat Cover) to join our team in London as part of our Content function.
Retail Week is looking for a hungry and enthusiastic reporter to join its multi-media content team at an exciting and pivotal point in the brand’s history. You will be a core part of the team that is driving Retail Week’s transformation from a predominantly news-driven media outlet, into a premium business information service, providing retail leaders with the data and insight they require to lead their businesses more effectively in the digital age.
As part of a fast-paced editorial team, you will contribute features, analyses, opinion pieces, videos and agenda-setting news stories for publication on our website and digital magazine. We work in a very entrepreneurial, agile environment and you will be expected to put forward new and innovative ideas to help us further shape and develop our content output. You will also represent Retail Week in the market, at industry events and in the media, through TV and radio appearances.
- As a reporter at Retail Week, you will work alongside two other journalists and report into the head of content. Working for a fast-paced, digital-first media outlet, meeting all deadlines is essential
- As well as taking commissions from the head of content, you will be expected to come up with your own content ideas and contribute to the growing portfolio of Retail Week products, including our physical and virtual events
- A key part of the role will be to build, nurture and maintain contacts across the retail sector, with a strong emphasis on board level directors
- Your performance will be judged on your overall content output, the strength and depth of your contacts book, and the KPIs of the wider content team, including the growth of our subscriptions business
- Digital skills, such as filming and editing video, will be a plus
- A shorthand qualification is desirable, but not a necessity
- Experience of appearing on TV or radio will also be a bonus
- The successful candidate will either be a young, hungry media graduate, or a reporter looking for their next step on the journalism ladder
- Experience of writing news features and long form articles to tight deadlines, either in a workplace environment, as a freelance writer, or as part of a degree qualification, is essential
- Knowledge or experience of the retail sector is desired, but not essential
- Experience of content management systems, SEO and multi-platform publishing would be beneficial
- Retail Week works collaboratively across the team using Google Docs, experience of which would also be useful
Skills and Competencies
- The successful candidate must be able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- You must be able to produce insightful, analytical but concise articles and videos to a required brief, but also have the initiative and enthusiasm to come up with your own ideas and make things happen for yourself
- An ability to make contacts and build relationships with senior people across the retail sector and within fast-growing D2C businesses is vital
- You should also be comfortable interviewing chief executives and representing the brand at industry events
- Reporters at Retail Week must be comfortable working on their own or as part of a team and be able to take direction
- You will be able to think on your feet, be decisive, and handle the pressures that come with working on a fast-paced content team
- You will be a self-starter, enthusiastic, organised and be able to multitask, as you will be expected to juggle a number of pieces of content at any one time
What We Offer
Our benefits package incorporates what we’re passionate about – unlocking your future, overall well-being and sustainability – whilst giving you control over your benefits.
- 25 days of holiday per year – with the option to buy or sell between 1-5 days
- Great learning and development opportunities
- Pension, Private Medical and Dental Insurance plans
- Life Assurance; Income Protection and Critical Illness covers
- Option to opt into the Ascential Shares Scheme
- Volunteering opportunities
- Season ticket loans
In addition, we offer flexible benefit packages that include Cycle to Work; Retail Vouchers; Gourmet Card; Gym Flex; Gadget Insurance, Health Assessments and Will Writing.
We also place great importance on health, lifestyle and wellbeing consistently, in which you will have the options to fuel up on free fruit, attend yoga sessions, join our running club, or perhaps taking up on a lunchtime massages.
At Ascential, our goal is to create a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel comfortable in bringing their authentic selves to work. We want all Ascential people to feel included and truly empowered to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Everyone who applies will receive fair consideration for employment. We do not discriminate based upon race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For more information on our culture, visit Ascential.com.
RWRC helps businesses in the commerce sector win in the digital economy. We do this by explaining the impact of the latest developments transforming the sector, by benchmarking the digital performance of commerce companies, connecting like-minded people to build partnerships that unlock growth and inspiring people with new ideas that will drive their digital future.
Joining us will let you work alongside the most extraordinary individuals in a fast-paced, hard-working, award-winning team. We pride ourselves on having a high level of individual accountability and autonomy, allowing you the flexibility to do your best work.
RWRC is a part of the Ascential group. Ascential is a specialist, global, information company that helps the world’s most ambitious businesses win in the digital economy.
Want More Info?
Find out more on what our people say:
If we inspire you, why not join and inspire us?