Upday, Mobile News Editor
4 days left
- Full Time
We are hiring a sharp, enthusiastic journalist to join Upday’s team in London as a mobile news editor.
Upday is an award-winning news app launched by Axel Springer in partnership with Samsung for its flagship smartphones and devices. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of one of the largest news apps in Europe with 25 million monthly active users across 34 countries.
- Find and curate the biggest news stories of the day and rewrite headlines to make them pop on our app
- Search for new publication partners across news and other topic areas
- Write several short article summaries per shift, in Upday’s house style
- Help develop and experiment across our social media channels
- Use a variety of tools to continually optimise our sources and story selection
- Shift work — including nights and weekends — is a requirement of the role
- Impeccable news judgement and experience writing news in a fast-paced online environment
- Excellent proofreading skills and an ability to self-edit are required
- You understand the mobile digital world and know how to write headlines and choose images that will excite and engage Upday’s audience
- A strong ability to work to strict deadlines and perform detailed work, sometimes under the significant pressure of breaking news
- An NCTJ qualification or background in journalism is preferred, but not essential for the right candidate
- Knowledge of Samsung smartphones would be a bonus!
What we offer
- A competitive salary and a responsible role within a dynamic European news startup (that’s part of the Axel Springer family)
- Work laptop and a Samsung smartphone
- Potential travel to headquarters in Berlin (when it's safe!)
How to apply
- Click APPLY NOW and please send a short cover letter and CV to the UK editor-in-chief Dina Spector stating why you are a perfect fit for this role.
- Mark your submissions ‘mobile editor application’ and put your name in the subject header.