Screen International, Senior Reporter
About Media Business Insight
Media Business Insight Limited (MBI) is based in North London and owns a unique portfolio of leading multichannel subscription-based brands, offering content and insight to key decision-makers and creatives in the media industry across TV, advertising, film and marketing services.
MBI brands area: Broadcast, Screen International, KFTV, The knowledge, Production intelligence and ALF Business Development.
We’re all in this together!
Customer Focus – Our customers are at the heart of our business.
Passion – We embrace teamwork, promote creativity and work towards a common goal of success.
Honesty – We are committed to open and transparent communication.
Expertise – We work hard to become experts in our specialist disciplines and fields.
Innovation – We encourage creativity to maintain our position as market leader.
Screen International, the international trade magazine covering the film, streaming and high-end TV industries, is seeking a senior reporter to join its busy editorial team.
We’re seeking a proactive journalist with excellent reporting and writing skills who is likely already in their first or second job as a reporter at another trade outlet. While a knowledge of the entertainment business would be an advantage, we want someone who can demonstrate strong reporting and story-finding skills first and foremost, who would be able to quickly build up a network of contacts in the UK and European screen industries with support from the existing Screen team.
The senior reporter will primarily report on the UK film, streaming and high-end television businesses, with reporting on key European territories coming with experience.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a strong network of relationships in their current role, and an ability to break significant stories and secure exclusives, as well as a keen interest in covering the screen industries (if not already doing so in your current role).
The candidate will also work on the publication’s market-leading daily editions at major film festivals and markets. The role is London-based but will require some international travel throughout the calendar year as permitted by restrictions.
Job duties & responsibilities
- Serve as Screen’s key reporter covering the UK market, cover this key market with insightful, accurate reporting and breaking exclusive stories
- Build strong network of industry contacts in the UK film and high-end TV production, distribution and sales sectors through regular meetings and networking
- Write news stories via contacts, daily press releases and other media, producing concise and accurate copy
- Represent Screen in the industry and cover key events as required
- Generate ideas for and write occasional online features or interviews
- Work on daily editions at major film festivals and markets as required
- Upload and manage relevant content on the website, following best practice and Screen style guide
- Help to implement Screen’s social media strategy and generate content for Screen’s social media channels
- Self-starter able to work independently and within a busy team
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Able to multi-task and have excellent attention to detail
- Strong communications skills (verbal and written)
- Able to build effective working relationships
- Strong team worker, shares good ideas and best practice
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Film industry knowledge and contacts useful but not essential
Why work for MBI?
Media Business Insight is a great place to develop your career. MBI staff are hugely passionate about their brands and what they do. They are hardworking, effective and expert professionals who provide trusted and essential services.
Our Commitment to you:
- Development and training
- Social Commitments and People Perks
We look forward to working with you!
How to apply
Please email CV, covering letter, salary expectations and three ideas for stories relating to the UK’s screen industries you would be keen to cover with news or analysis pieces.
Please state the job title of the vacancy in the subject line.
Candidates will be responded to when they apply, and any adverts will be removed when the role has been filled. If you are interested, please apply immediately to avoid disappointment.
Closing date: 15th April
Please note: acquisition by agencies will not be appreciated.