TechRadar, Day Editor
1 day left
- Full Time
TechRadar’s Day Editor is responsible for delivering informative news and analysis on the biggest tech and entertainment stories. Leading a team of writers, they will have their finger on the pulse of the consumer tech industry, chasing leads, interrogating brands and explaining the unexplainable across everything from phones to virtual reality headsets, streaming services to holiday sales seasons.
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior writer or channel editor looking to move up to a more challenging role, working as part of a close-knit team on a fast-paced and dynamic website with a reputation for excellence.
A masterful trend spotter, the Day Editor will have a brimming contacts book, be adept with trending topic tools, have extensive Twitter lists, Reddit subscriptions and RSS feed sources to enable them to spot and anticipate the most important technology news before the competition. They’ll also have a desire for breaking news and working exclusive stories, with a proven track record for working with sources to uncover the hottest news first.
Avoiding the minefield of fake news and the clickbait mire, the Day Editor will be able to craft meticulous, accurate and entertaining copy, and inspire their team to do the same
Sophisticated SEO skills are crucial, helping TechRadar’s expert content rank highly without compromising its usefulness to readers. The Day Editor will also work with freelance journalists, and experience of commissioning will be a great advantage.
Your role will comprise studying trends and assigning stories based on the hottest topics to help as many readers find our work, but the key metric will be quality - offering news output that oozes expertise, authority and trust above all else. You’ll hold regular 1:1s with the Executive Editor to discuss progress, but you’ll ultimately be in charge of the direction and content of TechRadar’s daily news.
Key role responsibilities
- Maintain an up-to-date and international contacts database that covers all the key areas of TechRadar in association with channel editors.
- Be accountable for the daily breaking news output, ensuring staff writers are focussing on the key topics of the day
- Be the oracle of news feeds, official blogs, Twitter lists and social sources, and informing the team of breaking news.
- Direct the news team, to ensure we’re covering the hottest topics
- Produce and maintain class-leading news and opinion pieces, informed by Google Search stats, seasonal activities (E3, CES, Black Friday, etc) and audience interest.
Exceptional news-writing skills and the ability to spot key stories are essential and applicants should have a deep understanding of the technology industry. Beyond that, a proven capability to develop content and find breaking news opportunities is also critical. Applicants should demonstrate:
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to grow audience
- Experience using trend-spotting tools - Google Trends, BuzzSumo or similar.
- Demonstrable ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while collaborating well with others
- Direct experience of managing writers is a big plus
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited annual leave (yes, you read that right!)
- A share in our success - every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
- Give something back - Future will match your personal charity fundraising efforts up to £300
Click APPLY NOW!