The Daily Mirror, Specialist Journalist - Climate Crisis
The Daily Mirror is looking to hire a specialist reporter to spearhead an exciting international journalism project
The ideal candidate will have experience of reporting on international development issues and care deeply about the climate crisis.
You will help take the Mirror's ground-breaking Next Generation project - which has seen the paper work with young people across the UK - to an international audience.
Within this role the successful journalist will take an active lead in this project, working closely with schools, NGOs and other media outlets in six different countries to educate and inspire people to tell their stories.
This position has arisen through The Daily Mirror being selected as one of eight winning media outlets across Europe to receive a prestigious grant from The European Development Journalism Grants, supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
This position is an 8 month contract and the role will report to senior editors within Mirror's editorial team.
What will the role involve?
This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in a major editorial project. It will involve working with diverse organisations in six different countries, bringing untold stories to our readers.
It may involve international travel, Covid permitting, and working in challenging environments. Other duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Working with schools, NGOs and other media outlets in six different countries and establishing contacts with associate organisations
- Take on a supporting role to participants in the project
- Oversee content and ensure it is delivered to deadline
- Work with Mirror editorial staff on the design and publication of content in print and online.
Who are we looking for?
- This is a niche role, and in order to be successful we are looking for a proven journalist with experience on a national title, magazine or website.
- You will have knowledge of development issues and familiarity with working with overseas organisations.
- Ability to work flexible hours to tight deadlines.
- A clear understanding of safeguarding issues and modern media law
- Knowledge of at least one foreign language would be desirable
- Previous experience of foreign reporting would also be desirable.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- and lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.