The Daily Mirror, Opinion Editor, (Maternity Cover)
Reach plc is looking for an Opinion Editor to join our Mirror team. We are looking for an experienced and confident journalist to join us in this role, someone who can source and drive pieces that will challenge opinions and drive conversations in a positive, engaging and thought-provoking way across everything from news to politics, showbiz to sport and travel to consumer.
As well as comment pieces, the role will look to build on our successful Facebook Lives platform as well as coming up with great ideas, and commissioning, exciting and innovative explainer features and pieces and behind the news long reads.
Although this role will primarily focus on digital content, you will also work closely with our print team.
What will the role involve?
- Identify and commission opinion pieces that will engage our readers and drive conversations online
- Work closely with our digital editorial teams and guide Facebook Live, as well as sourcing and creating exciting new engagement pieces, including long-form explainers and behind the news features
- Work closely with our print editorial teams to understand what stories/news topics they are running which could work well as opinion pieces for digital
- Be able to find new voices for opinion pieces
- Be able to work across news, showbiz, politics and all depts
Who are we looking for?
- A strong journalist with a strong portfolio brimming with ideas for opinion content
- Able to work across a variety of teams as well as independently
- Identify opinion content that would work well across our digital platforms
- Someone who is confident at finding new voices and can find an interesting angle on a piece
- Confident socially and able to come with ideas for Facebook Lives
- 25 days' holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- and lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.