Jam Press, Deputy News/Lifestyle Editor
5 days left
- Full Time
Jam Press is a dynamic and rapidly growing news agency sourcing and distributing news content for the world’s biggest publishers.
We create a steady stream of stories daily, entertaining huge audiences across print, digital and social platforms.
Our team of journalists love telling powerful stories and together we are working to establish ourselves as the most exciting news agency in the UK today.
If you are passionate about journalism, storytelling, and harbour an interest in the glorious diversity of the world we live in, then Jam Press is the agency for you.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, help grow and develop the agency by actively driving operations forward and exploring new opportunities for a strong future.
Jam Press is looking for a deputy lifestyle editor with a good range of experience to join its team for an exciting new position.
The role involves assisting the news and lifestyle editor in managing the day-to-day activity, such as looking after the writers, subbing, delegating writing assignments, sourcing news, as well as pitching/writing stories of their own, and other editorial tasks.
In turn, you will get a great team and the chance to work across a wide range of topics – viral news to features – with anything from health to crime, dating to funny animals.
We are a small but effective team, and we want the person who joins us to bring their own ideas, have a passion for journalism, and most importantly, a hunger for finding – and securing – a good story.
Experience of having worked at a news agency is desired, but not essential.
- Have worked in a senior role as a journalist for a minimum of two years.
- Have a good grasp of how news agencies operate and the kind of content they produce.
- Be able to work to short deadlines and handle a fast-paced environment (as stories are often turned around in the same hour).
- Feel confident in managing a team and providing feedback when required.
- Work closely with the news and lifestyle editor, as well as the production team and main editors.
- Have a good grasp of what type of imagery works for stories and understand the importance of photos and videos for news agencies.
- Be able to spot a good line and build on it – as well as feel comfortable interviewing case studies on sensitive topics.
- Pitch your own stories in the daily editor's meeting, as well as source stories to assign to writers.
- Manage and update the editorial output and work with the news and lifestyle editor to meet monthly targets and forward planning.
- Cover the desk when the news and lifestyle editor is unavailable.
The role is currently remote but may involve travelling into an office for meetings and odd occasions in the future, but consideration will be made for the right applicant.
If you're interested in applying, please send your CV, relevant social media handles and pitch three ideas that you believe would work for Jam Press.