The Times and Sunday Times, Senior News Sub-editor
7 days left
- Full Time
We are looking for a senior news sub-editor for The Times and The Sunday Times.
The successful candidate will be an experienced sub-editor who has worked at a national newspaper or for a digital publisher. You must be able to edit copy and write headlines to a very high standard and have strong technical skills.
- Sub-edit copy and write headlines and furniture to a high standard in line with the style
- Trusted with page leads and major stories, working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Capable of fulfilling a wide range of jobs across the rota, including chief sub-editing and
- revise shifts
- Shifts include: sub-editor, revise editor, digital sub-editor, digital revise editor and chief
- sub-editor shifts across the sections as required
- Support the head of news production and their senior team to publish on deadline on all
- Understand the requirements and expectations of the various section editors
- Work with the news desks and colleagues in design, pictures, graphics and multimedia to
- produce sections efficiently and on deadline
- Flexible and committed, comes up with ideas about how to improve the edition
- Work across all platforms, particularly when additional resources are required
Skills and experience
- Experience as a sub-editor on a national newspaper or news website with a demonstrable
- interest in current affairs and politics
- Imaginative in writing headlines and other page/digital furniture; aware of the relevance
- of search engine optimisation and metadata for the digital platforms
- Strong sub-editor who can work across platforms with a proven ability to edit copy
- quickly, accurately and to the highest standard
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to problem-solve and negotiate
- positive outcomes
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams
- A strong understanding of editorial compliance and regulatory issues
Apply with a covering letter and your CV by April 18.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We
want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued and where talents are
fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal
opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re
stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.