The Times and Sunday Times, News Sub-Editor
We are looking for a news sub-editor for The Times and The Sunday Times.
The successful candidate will be an experienced sub-editor who has worked at a national newspaper or for a digital publisher. You must be able to edit copy and write headlines to a very high standard and have strong technical skills.
- Sub-edit copy and write headlines and furniture to a high standard in line with the style
- Support the head of news production and their senior team to publish on deadline on all
- Understand the requirements and expectations of the various section editors
- Work with the news desks and production colleagues in design, pictures, graphics and
- multimedia to produce sections efficiently and on deadline
- Work across all platforms, particularly when additional resources are required
Skills and experience
- Strong sub-editor who can work across platforms with a proven ability to edit copy
- quickly, accurately and to the highest standard
- Experience as a sub-editor on a national newspaper or news website with a
- demonstrable interest in current affairs and politics
- Imaginative in writing headlines and other page/digital furniture; aware of the
- importance of search engine optimisation and metadata for the digital platforms
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to solve problems and negotiate
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams
- Flexible and committed, comes up with ideas about how to improve the edition
- A strong understanding of editorial compliance and regulatory issues
Apply with a covering letter and your CV by April 18.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.