Head of Features - Sunday Mirror and Sunday People
The Sunday Mirror and Sunday People are looking for an experienced Head of Features to join their team. This is an excellent opportunity to become head of our lively features department where you will run the desk with the support of the Deputy Features Editor and lead a team of writers and columnists.
This role is ideal for a skilled and experienced editor who can source and create engaging features across a variety of topics covering everything from showbiz to historical pieces, investigations, real-life and consumer issues while reacting to the news agenda to secure big exclusive buy-ups and commentary from a diversity of guest writers.
This role will be home working with a link to the London Hub.
So who are we?
You might not have heard of us, but we have probably met without you even realising it. Reach plc is home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and of course, the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories, because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- To run the features desk and department with passion and skill.
- To support the Editor and Deputy Editor in producing competitive, agenda-setting papers
- To deliver strong features for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People in accordance with IPSO and legal requirements.
- To originate articles in-house at little or no cost to the company as well as speaking to freelancers, press agencies, PR agents and other contacts to buy in features within a fixed contributions budget.
- To generate fresh ideas for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People in conference every day and at other times when requested, for example forward planning meetings.
- To manage the Deputy Features Editor as well as a team of reporters and columnists both in the office and in regional roles
- To present the features list to the Editor and Deputy Editor in conference
Who are we looking for?
- A high level of professionalism
- Excellent people management skills
- Superb news sense and an eye for a story
- Flexibility in working hours including evenings and weekends as required
- Flexibility in working styles
- Sound judgement and initiative with the ability to make critical decisions in a high-pressure environment
- A sense of responsibility regarding the content of both newspapers and making this content competitive within the market.
- Excellent confidence and communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Required qualifications and experience
- Previous experience managing a team
- Previous desk experience on a national title
- Previous experience in a fast-paced newsroom
- Experience of commissioning features and/or working on regional news titles or agencies
- Previous experience successfully managing a budget
- Previous experience of editing other writers' copy
- Excellent contacts within the industry
- NCTJ diploma or equivalent
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- and lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.