Deputy Features Editor, Sunday Mirror and Sunday People
We are looking for a driven and enthusiastic Deputy Features Editor to assist the Head of Features in running a vibrant department serving the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People newspapers.
The ideal candidate will hit the ground running with a wealth of ideas and a bulging contacts book which allows them to generate entertaining, agenda-setting and revelatory features for both titles. The department is expected to produce showbiz interviews, real-life reads, investigations and consumer features which add light and shade to these two much-loved titles.
They will process copy by reporters and external writers as required by the Head of Features, making it sparkle quickly and accurately, and be able to spot a potential legal issue a mile off. They will also write some features as required.
This role will be home working with a link to the London Hub.
What will the role involve?
- To deliver strong features for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday people in accordance with IPSO and legal requirements.
- To originate articles in-house at little or no cost to the company as well as speaking to freelancers, agencies, PR agents and other contacts to buy in features within a fixed contributions budget.
- To forward plan features ideas to cover TV TX dates, book releases, box office releases and other diary events
- To comply with the contractual obligation in relation to holiday and/or sick leave.
- To be professional at all times when representing the company and newspaper brands internally and externally.
Who are we looking for?
- A high level of professionalism
- Flexibility in working hours
- Flexibility in working styles
- Sound judgement and initiative with the ability to make critical decisions in a high-pressure environment
- Excellent confidence and communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Required key skills
- Writing and editing with a strong understanding of features content across titles
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- The ability to multitask and prioritise effectively
- Excellent forward planning and organisational skills
Required qualifications and experience
- Previous experience in a fast-paced newsroom or magazine environment
- Excellent contacts within the industry
- NCTJ diploma or equivalent
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- and lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.