Evening Standard, Assistant News Editor
The Evening Standard is an iconic London title that sets the agenda in politics and business, as well as being first with lifestyle content, major news and sports stories, in print and online.
Our future focus is on growing audiences and revenue with a digital first approach.
The Newsdesk is at the heart of the Evening Standard with a long-standing reputation for breaking exclusive, agenda-setting stories that are followed by national newspapers, broadcasters and media around the world.
As we move to a fully-integrated, digital first operation, the Newsdesk will continue to ensure that the Standard is first with breaking news across all platforms.
You have significant Newsdesk experience and are capable of working across multiple platforms with a team of reporters to produce digital first exclusive stories, pictures and video and cover breaking news around the clock.
You will be able to outline the news agenda to senior editors in daily meetings and respond quickly and competently to their instructions.
Skills and Experience
- Newsdesk experience and capable of working with a team of reporters to help produce digital first exclusive content and cover breaking news across multiple platforms.
- Experience working in a dynamic and fast-moving newsroom, a quick, accurate and confident writer.
- A good communicator able to respond to direction and pass instructions on accurately to the reporting team.
- A solid understanding of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice to help ensure all content is legally safe and compliant with expected standards.
- A good knowledge of current affairs including politics, crime, business, arts, celebrity news, education, health, environment, technology, foreign news and Royal stories.
- Fluent in the Atex, InCopy and CMS systems.
An Assistant News Editor’s role is to work with senior executives and the Evening Standard’s news team to produce exclusive, digital first content across all platforms and be first with breaking news.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Helping to drive, with direction from senior executives, a team of reporters to produce and source digital first stories, pictures, video and audio content across all platforms.
- Ensuring the Evening Standard continues to be first with breaking news.
- Helping to make sure content is delivered in a timely manner, legally safe and compliant form.
- Helping to generate and deliver ideas for special projects, investigations, campaigns and in-depth pieces.
- Communicating accurately instructions from senior editors to the News team and ensuring these are delivered in full.
- Working the necessary hours to help staff the Newsdesk across the full week.
- You will be accountable to the Executive Editor/Head of News and other senior executives.