i, Assistant Opinion Editor
5 days left
- Full Time
i is expanding its award-winning Opinion section and we are recruiting an Assistant Opinion Editor to join the team. The Assistant Opinion Editor will help plan and deliver the i opinion section in print, digital, app and newsletter formats, in conjunction with the Opinion Editor and the rest of the desk.
The role will include taking daily responsibility for parts of the opinion section, especially in print; working with new and regular writers; running our Opinion coverage on Sundays; and assisting with other tasks as and when they arise. This role will be full time, Sunday-Thursday.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards).
Key areas of responsibility
- Edit pieces for accuracy, style, structure and length, and work with writers on edits when necessary.
- Put together parts of the daily section in print.
- Take the lead on the opinion matrix, daily obituary (Life in Brief) and letters page
- Upload commissioned pieces to the inews.co.uk site including furniture and imagery, and work with SEO and social media editors to optimise for our audience.
- Promote content on the opinion section’s social feeds, and work with i’s social media editor to promote opinion content across i’s social feeds.
- Forward plan effectively, identifying opportunities for compelling opinion pieces
- Edit and curate opinion pieces from our syndication partners, and maintain good relationships with them.
- Occasionally step in to present i's opinion section in morning conference in the Opinion editor’s absence.
- Help to commission daily opinion pieces from established and new writers, both in advance and based on breaking news stories.
- Use a variety of analytics to find key areas of interest from our readers and build on them - page views, but also engagement, scroll depth, newsletter signups, and other metrics.
- Contribute to the i Opinion’s publishing strategy across all platforms.
Skills and experience
- Experience of commissioning and editing for print or digital publications
- Experience of working to tight deadlines
- A good contacts book of writers and public figures who would write interesting and engaging comment pieces
- Track record of commissioning quality pieces which make an impact across platforms
- An obsessive eye for accuracy and fact-checking
- Media law knowledge through in-work training or a qualification
- Knowledge of the current media landscape and both prominent and new voices in opinion journalism
- Enthusiasm to edit and commission voices from across the political spectrum
- SEO knowledge and strong headlining skills
Please click APPLY and send a CV, three examples of pieces you have written or commissioned with any relevant detail or background information, and a shot summary (max 100w per piece) of three opinion pieces you would commission for i and suggested writers
CLOSING DATE: 19th May 2021