ArtsProfessional, Trainee Journalist (News)
Contract: 12 months full time (with the possibility of extension)
ArtsProfessional is the UK’s leading online B2B magazine serving the arts and cultural sector.
With a popular website, a series of weekly e-bulletins and solid social media presence, we serve professionals working in or with the arts sector, across the full spectrum of art forms.
Especially known for our high-quality investigative journalism and in-depth research-based coverage of key issues facing the sector, we report on subjects ranging from arts funding, workforce diversity and cultural policy, to financial management, audience development and income generation.
We are now looking to boost our editorial output by appointing a talented and ambitious trainee journalist to contribute expertise to our small editorial team. A fixed term contract is offered in the first instance, with the possibility of extension or promotion to a permanent journalist role after 12 months.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual who would like to work in a fascinating niche area covering a range of business-related sector-specific subject matter for publication online and through social media.
We are looking for an individual with a ‘first time right’ approach to writing and editing high quality content. With a qualification in journalism (or working towards qualification) and work experience in news journalism, the successful candidate will have a thorough appreciation of journalistic values and best practices, and be familiar with all the basics of digital publishing.
As well as writing clear, compelling and accurate news copy, they will be skilled at writing powerful headlines, standfirsts, captions and social media posts to ensure maximum reach and impact.
- Drafting copy for news and feature items
- Searching online sources and social media for news and feature leads
- Posting content to social media
- Sourcing images from online photo libraries
- Requesting copyright clearance
- Uploading content
- Tagging news and feature material
Essential skills / attributes:
- Fast, accurate and compelling news writing
- Effective and efficient desk-based research – including data analysis
- Very keen eye for detail and ability to meet tight deadlines
- A self-starter capable of working both independently and as a team player
- A journalism degree or professional qualification (or working towards one)
- Work experience or previous employment in news journalism
Sounds like the job for you? Then take a look at the Applicant Pack.
Email a full CV and covering letter explaining why you think you would be a good fit for this role and for our organisation by clicking 'APPLY NOW'.
Shortlisted candidates will be identified throughout the application period and sent two short writing tasks to complete.
These tasks are an important part of the selection process and they must be completed before you will be considered for interview, and received at the latest by 5pm Thursday 13th May.
Closing date for initial applications: 5pm, Wednesday 12th May
Final submission of interview tasks: 5pm Friday 14th May
Interviews: Wednesday 19th May/ Thursday 20th May
Start date: asap