The Independent, Travel Editor
The Independent is looking for an experienced travel editor to join its desk of experts.
The travel editor will be responsible for heading up the entire travel section, covering everything from breaking news and features to commercial roundups and live blogs. They will liaise with other desks to ensure the smooth running of the travel section.
The successful candidate will be adept at writing sparkling copy to tight deadlines and seeking out engaging news stories on aviation, tourism, transport and hospitality.
They will have a deep knowledge of travel, alongside a wide contacts book of both other journalists and PRs from across the industry.
We are looking for someone who will be unflustered working in a fast-paced environment; able to turn around a breaking news story one minute and compile an award-winning travel feature the next, and who is constantly plugged in to the latest travel trends and issues.
As travel editor you shape a key section of this international news brand, reporting directly into Lifestyle Editor Harriet Hall, and working closely with the wider lifestyle and Independent team.
You will also be a skilled reporter and editor with a forensic eye for errors and an ability to polish an average article into something worthy of a national newspaper.
- Heading up the travel section of The Independent and helping to raise its profile
- Sourcing and writing traffic-driving news stories day-to-day, as well as longer features and guides, under tight deadlines
- Pitching ideas at editorial meetings
- Overseeing commercial campaigns and meeting with advertisers
- Managing the team’s workflow and progress
- Close collaboration with all teams at The Independent, from editorial to commercial, sales and marketing
- Able to commission quality features from big-name writers and edit to a high standard
- Being across the planning of key travel events and occasionally covering them live
- Monitoring and analysing website traffic with an eye to grow pageviews and unique users
Skills and expertise:
- Experience as a travel editor or senior travel writer on a newspaper, magazine or similar
- Previous work in a newsroom preferable
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrable experience of sub-editing copy to a high standard
- Organised and unflappable
- A track record of growing audiences using analytical tools and an understanding of how to drive engagement
- First-rate knowledge of SEO and social media
- Managerial experience
- A knowledge and understanding of The Independent brand
- Deep knowledge of the key travel trends that shape UK tourism today, and key contacts within the industry
Click APPLY NOW and please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations along with:
- Five travel article ideas that would work for The Independent audience, accompanied by headlines and an explanation of how these would be seeded out on social to ensure maximum readership.
- A brief critique of The Independent’s travel section.
Due to the high volume of applications, we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Hours: Your hours will be 40 hours per week working Monday to Friday
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.