The Independent, Night Editor
The Independent is an unbiased and trusted voice in British journalism, with a growing global reach through its website and social media.
The Independent is looking for an accomplished news editor to run a fast-paced newsroom in the evenings.
The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating The Independent's news output and so should be organised, talented and a team player. They will be capable of prioritising and breaking news, commissioning reporters, thinking visually and editing copy.
Please note that the working hours are 16:00 to 01:00.
- The successful applicant must have experience of news editing at either a regional or national level.
- They must be a good communicator and be able to make fast and sound news decisions.
- In addition, they must be able to work closely with reporters and editors.
- Running the news desk in the evenings, commissioning stories for reporters and working on a wide variety of stories including politics, health, crime and social affairs.
- Editing copy and producing accurate, pithy headlines.
- Making editorial decisions using a variety of news sources and evaluating stories from rival news outlets.
Skills and experience:
- Proven experience of publishing in a regional/national newspaper or news desk
- Knowledge of digital news
- NCTJ qualification
- Must be prepared to regularly work evenings and weekends
- Working knowledge of SEO
- Experience of running a publisher’s social media accounts
- Experience using web analytics programmes
Click APPLY NOW and please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8
Hours: Your hours will be 40 hours per week working Monday to Fridays.
Reports to: News Editor
ESI Media is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.