Fabulous, Horoscopes Writer (Freelance)
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Sun is the biggest news brand in the UK, publishing hundreds of stories a day and reaching over 170m unique users digitally every month. Our exclusives set the news agenda and our campaigns have changed the lives of many.
Fabulous is the leading women’s lifestyle brand in the country and we are looking for the most talented and committed journalists to join us.
Purpose of role: To work within the SEO team alongside Fabulous to generate horoscopes-focused, traffic-driving stories and live blogs which support our already established presence in the horoscopes digital landscape and reach new audiences.
Initially the role would be 5 days a week for 3 months with the possibility of extension.
- To produce brilliant, traffic-driving horoscopes stories that compliment the daily and weekly star signs from Mystic Meg
- A keen eye for visuals to ensure stories are always illustrated with the best pictures, videos and graphics
- Strong understanding of The Sun’s audience
- Ability to produce sparkling copy at speed and to tight deadlines
- Knowledge of SEO and web publishing
- Enthusiasm, imagination and a notebook full of ideas are all essential
- Being a self-starter is key – and you will need to thrive under the pressure of a busy newsroom
- Have a thorough knowledge of the IPSO Code of Conduct, media law and ethical considerations
Key Skills and Experience:
- A love of horoscopes and understanding of terminology
- At least a year working at a major digital brand
- Unflappable under pressure and delivers work at a consistently high standard
- Pro-active and displays a willingness to take on any task
- Positive attitude and good team player
- Takes initiative in order to achieve desired results
- Self-starter, organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the The Sun brand, both print and digital
- Willingness to work flexible hours over a seven-day rota pattern
- Some blogging experience would be preferable but training can be provided
Flexible Working: At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do